A new study shows that Lactobacillus plantarum, the probiotic superstar, is capturing the interest of the medical mainstream. Find out why L. plantarum can be your best natural solution for everything from reducing cholesterol to boosting your digestive health and immunity.
Medical advances have brought many life-saving procedures, but did you know that good old Mother Nature still has a few tricks up her sleeve when it comes to health and healing?
We hear so much about modern medical technology that we sometimes miss the incredible healing powers that already exist in nature.
Probiotics, meaning for life, are the beneficial bacteria and yeast that live in your intestines and keep you healthy and strong. At one time, probiotic-rich foods were a big part of the diets of our ancestors in just about every culture. This is because these beneficial microorganisms could preserve food long before refrigeration was invented.
These days, probiotics are increasingly popular in both natural health and medical uses.
Probiotics have been shown to help everything from improving your digestive health to boosting your immunity, reducing cravings and alleviating allergies .
And now, a new study from Sweden shows that the probiotic, Lactobacillus plantarum (L. plantarum) is just as effective as a conventional antiseptic in preventing the most common cause of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) in hospitals.
Ventilator-associated pneumonia is a common complication for patients who are on breathing tubes in hospitals because harmful bacteria can enter the lungs from the mouth, throat or breathing tube.
The studies found that Lactobacillus platarum out performed the conventional antiseptic in three ways:
- Lactobacillus plantarum provided longer-term protection against harmful bacteria without needing to be constantly re-applied.
- Lactobacillus plantarum did not contribute to antibiotic-resistant strains.
- Lactobacillus plantarum (which is present naturally in your saliva) did not cause side effects, while the antiseptic caused tooth discoloration and other side effects.
Lactobacillus Plantarum – The Superstar Probiotic
At Body Ecology, we have long known the benefits of Lactobacillus plantarum, the superstar pro-biotic.
L. plantarum can live in your gut and keep pathogenic disease-causing microorganisms from flourishing.
And similar to the way icing sticks to a cake, L. plantarum creates a healthy barrier in your colon to keep dangerous bacteria from penetrating the lining of your intestines and entering your blood stream.
In fact, one study found that regardless of how it was administered, L. plantarum lasted for up to 10 days in the digestive tract of mice with no unwanted side effects, making it an ideal probiotic for inflammatory conditions, like IBS and colitis.
L. plantarum is one of the best probiotics for your digestive health and to relieve digestive distress.
Who Can Benefit from Lactobacillus Plantarum?
Anyone can benefit from L. plantarum, yet some people need it more than others, for example:
- Anyone who has taken or is taking antibiotics – Lactobacillus plantarum is not destroyed by antibiotics, so it can preserve the healthy bacteria that antibiotics often destroy preventing an overgrowth of yeast (candidiasis)
- Anyone who needs to lower cholesterol - Research results indicate that L. plantarum might be effective as a probiotic with cholesterol-lowering activities.
- Pregnant women who want to promote healthy bacteria in their birth canal to inoculate their newborn babies against pathogens.
- Newborn babies may benefit from tiny spoonfuls of plantarum-rich cultured vegetable juice soon after birth to prevent colic and to ensure their inner ecosystem is well established...this enhancing immunity. We feel this is vital to preventing autism.
- Children with autism may benefit from L. plantarum to clear up common digestive issues.
- Children with ADD/ADHD often become calmer and are better able to focus when probiotic foods and liquids are added to their diet.
So hopefully you are now convinced that you need this potent, but tiny, superstar living inside your inner ecosystem. So what is the best way to get L. plantarum’s support for oral health and your overall health? What foods and drinks would you want to consume?
As the Swedish study showed, oral application of L. plantarum has benefits to your immunity and the best way to get L. plantarum orally and in your digestive tract is to eat them. In other words, eat fermented foods, like cultured vegetables and a variation of Young Coconut Kefir “Cheese”... what we call “ Young Coconut Plantarum “Cheese”.
This is the soft white spoon meat found inside the young green coconut. (In some health food stores in California you can now purchase Body Ecology’s organic coconut spoon meat in the frozen food department. It’s delicious and so convenient when it is already removed from the shell. See our listing of health food stores in California selling coconut water; some of them also sell the Bnody Ecology coconut meat, and we encourage you to call the store in your area to inquire if they do.
Boost your digestive health and immunity naturally with Lactobacillus plantarum! The best source of hardy Lactobacillus plantarum is fermented foods and drinks. You can make your own cultured vegetables and Young Coconut Plantarum “Cheese” with Body Ecology’s Culture Starter. Just follow the instructions in the box and you can quickly and easily make your own healthy fermented foods and drinks. Eat, drink and be healthy with Body Ecology’s Culture Starter!
You can make your own L. plantarum-rich cultured vegetables and Young Coconut Plantarum “Cheese” with Body Ecology’s Culture Starter . Our Culture Starter is rich in Lactobacillus plantarum and when you add it to shredded vegetables or to coconut water from the young green coconut, you get delicious and healthy fermented foods and drinks that contain this special probiotic.
You can make your own healthy fermented foods and drinks quickly and easily at home:
- To make your own cultured vegetables using Culture Starter, use our cultured vegetable recipes.
- To make Young Coconut Plantarum with Culture Starter, use our Young Coconut Kefir recipe and replace the Kefir Starter with Culture Starter.
Whether it’s cold and flu season, you want to boost your immunity or digestive health, L. plantarum is a great way to benefit from the health secrets of your ancestors.
Once you realize the health benefits of fermented foods and drinks, they will surely become your own best natural secret to staying healthy, energized and youthful for years to come!
- Daniells, Stephen, Probiotic may prevent respiratory illnesses: study. NutraIngredients.com, November 7, 2008.http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Publications/Food-Beverage-Nutrition/NutraIngredients.com/Research/Probiotic-may-prevent-respiratory-illnesses-study/?c=s2eqS8WIMH7fOy7ErLddvA%3D%3D <http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Publications/Food-Beverage-Nutrition/NutraIngredients.com/Research/Probiotic-may-prevent-respiratory-illnesses-study/?c=s2eqS8WIMH7fOy7ErLddvA%3D%3D>
- Pavan, Sonia, Desreumaux, Pierre and Mercenier, Annick. Use of Mouse Models To Evaluate the Persistence, Safety, and Immune Modulation Capacities of Lactic Acid Bacteria, Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. July 2003, p. 696-701, Vol. 10, No. 4.http://cdli.asm.org/cgi/content/full/10/4/696 <http://cdli.asm.org/cgi/content/full/10/4/696>
- Naruszewicz, Marek, Johansson, Marie-Louise, Zapolska-Downar, Danuta and Bukowska, Hanna. Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v on cardiovascular disease risk factors in smokers. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 76, No. 6, 1249-1255, December 2002.http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/76/6/1249